List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Plea to KDE2 developers for bug fixing
From:       "Bart Szyszka" <bart () gigabee ! com>
Date:       2001-01-25 1:13:24

Hi,

I've been using KDE off and on (usually Windows when off
unfortunately) for almost two years now and I want to make a
plea to the KDE2 developers: *please* set aside at least a month,
if not two, to get the *current* stage of KDE2 as stable and bug-free
as possible. Just a month or two. After that you can continue adding
a new features.

I'm starting to loose hope in the idea of there ever being a truley good
and useable version of post-KDE2 (in other words, everything after you
guys decided to drop KDE1 and develop KDE2 instead). Some bugs
get fixed, but there are still many many others that don't and you guys
don't seem to care. Too many of you are too caught up in adding cool
new stuff in KDE that you fail to make the *current* stuff useable. I've
tried using Linux w/ KDE2 as my default OS, but I can't. It's just too
buggy and too unfinished. In the first few days it's fine, but for long term
use, there are only so many glitches you can take before you decide to just
revert back to something else. Make what you have *now* be 99.9%
bugless and stable or else you're just procrastinating with fixing it and
the
longer you wait, the more bugs pile on and the more they pile on, the more
impossible it will be for you to make KDE good. At this pace, you're
never going to get KDE2 good if you're always going to put off taking a
fine comb through the code.

You're not going to win me over with cool features if you don't bother to
make everything glitchless. It just doesn't work that way. Playing with
people's nerves is not nice. I know some of you follow the selfish
philosophy
of developing only to fulfill your own personal self-interests, but KDE2 is
just not going to be any good for anyone else if it's buggy. And if it's not
going to be good for anyone else, companies won't use it, people won't use
it, and you're forcing everyone to be stuck in a Microsoft-controled market.
I'm being forced to use Windows right now because I fail to see a reliable
alternative. With each new KDE2 build that I try, my hope gets smaller and
smaller that anything useable will come out of this project.

- Bart