List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: why is there so little KDE PR ?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-01-18 12:16:52

Hi,

I agree on the PR point.  There is a basic principle of marketing:  the more
you hear of something, the more successful (and hence the better) it seems.
That's why companies spend huge dollars on ad campaigns that just point the
same message into your head (not saying we have to be so obnoxious, but the
point holds).

In the open source world, publicity luckily can be free.  But then, something
is needed to generate publicity.  More frequent releases of software is a great
way to stay in the public mind.

IMHO the major components should be released separately with a view to having
much more frequent release cycles.  KDElibs should obviously be one package.
But there is no reason why Konqueror could not be released more often, and
certainly KMail and the other major components that are newsworthy in their own
right.

I also think, as I have explained to Ralf, that tieing KDevelop releases to KDE
releases is bad for this purpose.  KDevelop is a major app onto itself and can
generate publicity and interest by its release.  To bundle it together with the
rest of KDE lessens its impact.  Of course it doesn't have to be released far
apart -- even 2-3 days is good; it makes KDE look more productive, like more is
getting done.

Particularly too KOffice should definitely be on its own cycle, IMHO.

Regards,

Andreas