List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdoc/doxygen
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       2000-11-26 13:45:45

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Peter Putzer wrote:
[snip]
> As for kdoc's stability and all, around 2.0 it didn't even RUN, though
> that got fixed a week or so later. Unfortunately 2.0a42 didn't build
> parameter lists, which kinda defeats the point of a doc-tool.

Fair enough. My current situation is this:

1. for a long time I was too involved at work to even look at a computer
outside work. thankfully the situation is a lot better now for various
reasons (no, I didn't get fired or anything like that ;) )

2. The kdoc parser was too unwieldy to a) parse heavily templated code b)
keep up with the preprocessor stuff that is appearing in KDE all the time,
like k_dcop:, "Q_PROPERTY" or "EXPORTDOCKCLASS". I think most people will
agree with me that just running the preprocessor, even though kdoc has
supported this for a long time, is not really an option since a lot of
context information (eg signals) gets lost.

So over the last few weeks I have totally rewritten the parser in kdoc,
and through some absolutely godawful regexps it is now quite complete and
extensible. It does not support everything 100% yet, but is finally able
to take on new features without making eyes bleed.

I've also added manpage support, proper (non-Polish!) latex support, and
the docbook and HTML output will be changed quite heavily once the parser
is complete, for example the HTML output will properly support stylesheets
for customization using style classes for various parts of the docs.

I've also recently discovered that XML schemas exist for describing an OO
API and adding support for that into kdoc is only a few hundred lines of
code.

Other stuff like multiple libdirs (ie hierarchical repositories for .kdoc
files for kdevelop) have been implemented and removed from the wishlist.

Expect more in the next few weeks.

One thing that I will always try to do is make sure it atleast generates
kdelibs docs properly before I make a commit (kdelibs has always been my
primary test case), but I cannot fight stuff like EXPORTDOCKCLASS
appearing without my knowing it.

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   KDE: The Desktop sans Toga