List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: GIF write support
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-04-05 23:49:42

Hi,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, mosfet wrote:
> I'm sure this is going to be a controversial subject but we really need
> to have GIF write support if we are going to have apps like Pixie and
> KImageShop taken seriously by web developers and such. Since Pixie
> especially is aimed at these people I feel it is essential that I
> support it... I know of the legal issues involved with GIF but I also
> know it's something my users are going to need...

Hmm, but you should at least ensure that whenever possible the users are
forced to use anything other than GIF. May be 'forced' is too harshed, but
the programs should make _very_ clear, that _if_ the user really want to
use GIF, he can, but walks on legally uncertain ground. It is arguable if
it is uncertain, as Unisys' position seems to be fairly clear.

> We have the code, it's just not used. If it's going to remain unused I
> would *very much* like to add the QImageIO code to pixie itself, but
> think I should ask first because it is a CVS application and as such
> part of the KDE project as a whole.

I'm not sure if it would be good, if CVS apps have LZW code in it, which
is not disableable (sic!). OTOH, if it is conditionally enabled, most
vendors shipping binaries will switch it off, and it buys you nothing. And
compiling from source is also not an option for web developers.

What would be possible is, you implement GIF saving without
compression. That avoids all patent issues, additionally make the user who
is concerned about size switch to a better format, and gives the
possibility for remaining compatible with old web browsers (as you were
talking about web developers).

Ciao,
Michael.