List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       adawit () earthlink ! net
Date:       1999-10-01 21:11:46

On Fri, 01 Oct 1999, Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> > > I know that kioslaves handle most of this currently as a separate
> > > sub-process, but would prefer to have threads available for those
> > > things that don't currently have kioslaves written (e.g. nntp).
> >
> > The Right Way is to implement nntp in a kioslave instead of
> > restricting it to just your app! :-)
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'll be doing a nntp slave in the next coming
> > months if nobody beats me to it...
>
> Nice little hint there Kurt.  :)
>
> I'd looked at what'd really be involved in doing one, and didn't think that
> it'd be too hard to do.  However, I did have question as to how NNTP URLs
> would be represented, considering that NNTP itself has several other
> extensions (e.g. 'xpat') that don't really map across into any sort of URL.
> Other things such as "how do I just pull down the _headers_ for a single msg,
> without the msg body" also left me as a bit puzzled as to how they'd map
> properly.  I've read through the RFCs outlining NNTP URLs and for all that
> they at least define how to get all of the subjects for a given group and a
> message within the group, I didn't find anything else in there that'd be
> useful for helping solve those issues.
>
> If someone out there has ideas on how these sorts of things could be mapped,
> or that could point me in the direction of another kioslave that'd be a good
> example to start with, I'd be willing to sit down and see what I can come up
> with to create one for NNTP.

Well, I think I may be able to point you in the right direction with one of
the things you mentioned up top.  The url stuff.  I am not familiar with the
several url extensions that NNTP has, but I think some type of internal
mapping is possible.  For example, the SMB protocol will probably use "smb://"
or "smb:/" to denote a resource in a Windows server, however, a user will be
allowed to type in \\HOSTNAME\SHARE.  A conversion is done as necessary from
the \\HOSTNAME\SHARE format to the "smb:/" format internally or vise-versa.
It won't matter which way you want to go as long as the resource identifier
is unique.  Can you give some examples of the NNTP url extensions ?  I am only
familiar with the NNTP url as it is defined in RFC 1738 ...

Regards,
Dawit A.