List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Request For Comments: KThread
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-10-01 7:55:05

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Given the recent discussion about multi-threading the following might
> > be of interest:
> >
> > Request For Comments: KThread
>
> Sounds interesting.  Were you planning on writing the thread stuff
> yourself (no no no)

No.

> or have KThread be a wrapper class for an existing
> thread package (yes yes yes)?

Yes.

> When you're making your decision about which thread package to use,
> remember that posix threads just won't cut it.

My intent is to make a very simple to use interface to threads with only
basic functionality. In which areas do posix threads don't cut it?

> Off the top of my
> head, I know that libc5 (read: all non-new distros) does *not* have
> pthreads.  I'm sure that quite a few more platforms are similar.

> GNU Pth might be a good one.  It's written by the author of nps (or
> whatever one Roberto is using for newkrn).

What I would want is that it uses whatever is available. Hopefully I can come
up with a solution which even works without threads. (You won't gain
anything then of course) That way all applications can use threads without
restricting themselves to certain platforms.

Cheers,
Waldo