List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Klipper
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-05-17 2:32:13

On 5/17/2011 4:07 AM, Steven Sroka wrote:
> Unfortunately, what would be considered *extra* would be based on
> subjective opinions.

Subjective, and you're also sort of implying that the
current placement of things in workspace isn't already
the result of a thought and decision process, while not
actually having done your homework yet on what the pur-
pose of the components in question is (see the other
mail describing what Klipper's main function is).

You've also provided no actual arguments for why the
workspace package should even strive to be minimal and
should limit itself to "core" functionality instead of
striving to be a highly featured workspace package.
"It's been bugging me" isn't exactly high-fidelity,
you have to admit! :)

Sorry but that doesn't cut it - starting a discussion
like this on that sort of rickety foundation is likely
to end up as a http://bikeshed.org/ discussion because
the quality bar for participation is already so low:
It's easy to have an opinion, but hard to argue for it,
so everybody will chime in with a few quick words, and
it won't amount to anything substantial.

Wanting to shape the product is awesome (we need more
people looking at the big picture), but the only way to
have debate like this is to do the up-front work so a
thread can hit the ground running.

I'd say let's close this up for the moment, and perhaps
revisit the topic of coming up with a definition of
what constitutes our "workspace" package and what attri-
butes components ought to have for inclusion at a later
date.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein