List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: "Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt
From:       Steven Sroka <thedude_10160 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2010-11-02 21:51:30

I am very impressed by the discussion going on. KDE users should be proud of the \
people maintaining this project. Unfortunately, I noticed fewer and fewer people are \
using this mailing list for other reasons than to discuss the possibility of a Qt and \
KDE merger/figuring out what KDE is/what makes KDE useful/the hundred and one other \
things that do indeed need to be discussed.

What needs to be done ASAP, is a more formal discussion which will create common \
goals that can be achieved within KDE before anything actually changes. Right now, \
nobody truly knows or understands what needs to happen. This is all at its early \
stages, in fact, in the early brainstorming stage, even so this is becoming serious \
fast. openSUSE had a similar issue (but not the exact same) a while ago: \
http://news.opensuse.org/2010/09/03/strategy-sucks/. First line, second paragraph.

I would love to organize something formal that could get KDE on the road to figuring \
out:

*what _may_ be needed (i.e. advertising KDE, cleaning out fluff from the code, \
                tighter Qt integration, stability [I hear you, KDE3 users!]),
*and what may not be needed or is already not needed (duplicate code with Qt, \
deprecated code, useless dependencies).

Unfortunately, I have little expertise in this manner, so its a road block for me \
personally :(

Figuring out how KDE will change on its own and how it will change with Qt, needs to \
be made a bit more formal and solid. There are *too many* good ideas being thrown \
around without being tallied and kept organized.

Now don't kill me for trying to keep this massive topic in order :)

By the way, congrats, Aaron for bringing something like this up before me: