On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Chani wrote: > On November 1, 2010 09:39:56 Michael Jansen wrote: >> > it could work out great, it could be a disaster, it could be a lot of >> > work for a little gain ... we just can't tell right now because it's >> > nothing more than a vague idea. >> > >> > you really can't plan the future of core assets like that. >> >> But preparing our our assets in a way that would make identifiying and >> merging stuff into qt easy would benefit our visibility even if the >> merging never happens. >> > > +1 - this has been a great brainstorming exercise. :) > there are certainly obstacles to the "merger" idea, and a fair chance of it > turning out to be infeasible or unwanted (while I hope the open governance > thing keeps improving, I'm not going to put blind faith in it) but it got us > thinking, didn't it? :) > > modularizing and promoting kdelibs looks like something we can all agree > should be done. separating it into generally-useful features vs. workspace > integration features, allowing people to use just some of it, *telling* them > what we have and how easy it is to use it and why it'll make their application > shoot magical rainbow lasers ;) > > ...so now I suppose it's time to start doing it. Not the actual modularization > right away, of course, but planning what can be done and documenting what we > have and advertising to people outside kde that yes, we have these features > and they're great and you want to use them even if it does mean linking to > some other stuff right now. :) One thing I would like to add: The migration to Git will make such undertakings much, much easier for us. Trying to reorganize KDElibs with SVN would be a nightmare. With Git, it might actually not be as much work as expected, if done right. -- Mark Kretschmann Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at KO GmbH Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe http://amarok.kde.org - http://www.fsfe.org - http://www.kogmbh.com