List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: why kdelibs?
From:       Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-10-30 18:22:35

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Cornelius Schumacher
<schumacher@kde.org> wrote:
> Here is a big answer:
>
> Let's merge Qt and the KDE development platform. Let's put all KDE libraries,
> support libraries, platform modules into Qt, remove the redundancies in Qt,
> and polish it into one nice consistent set of APIs, providing both, the
> wonderful KDE integration, consistency and convenience, as well as the
> simplicity and portability of the Qt platform.

[...]

Cornelius,

I must say: Kudos to you. You made my day.

What you have proposed is one of the smartest and most groundbreaking
ideas I've seen in a long time. Admittedly, it sounds crazy at first
sight. And I talked to some fellow KDE developers who were very
skeptical about it.

However, there was a time when a certain Matthias Ettrich invented
KDE. You know what people said when he published his idea?

"It cannot be done."
"No way."
"Impossible."

Look at what has become of his "little idea" now. And think about it:
Most really great ideas start like that, with people being skeptical,
just because it's new and needs getting used to. Cornelius's idea
might be daring, but it is worth giving it some really deep thought.

PS:
Chani, thanks for bringing up this topic. A much needed discussion,
and very useful too.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at KO GmbH