List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: device-automounter moved to kdereview
From:       Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-03 8:45:28

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 09:13:52 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Tuesday 3 November 2009 09:06:23 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > @Kevin: I wonder if such a string (or an improvement of such a string)
> > should be provided by solid itself... something like longDescription or
> > detailedDescription or HumanReadableId. What do you think?
>
> Hmm, well, I somehow would have expected description() to be enough, what's
> wrong with it?
It's somehow a scoping problem
The point is that description() is good enough (maybe) to distinguish between the few devices \
you have connected at the moment (with the notable exception of the "volume (xxx)" repeated n \
times;  whereas here what is needed is something which potentially can identify every device \
that you have ever connected.  That's why we should, obviously imho, add some auxiliary infos \
such as the parent product & vendor.