List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications
From:       "Roberto Alsina" <ralsina () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-21 1:50:41

While Qt has gained in versions 3.x a decent support for the development
of applications that require access to databases, it is rare to find a KDE
app that uses that support.

Why? Because the drivers included with Qt are for databases that require
some administration, and thus are not a realistic requirement for a
regular user.

What's needed? A driver for an embedded database should be included in
kdelibs. That way, we would encourage the development of such
applications, much like Visual Basic's embedded DB driver did.

What's proposed? Adding one such driver to kdelibs. I propose qsqlite
(http://qsqlite.sf.net). While it has not been too tested, I think it
pretty much works (KRecipes uses it, some other app, too), and if it
doesn't, it's really a fairly small and simple piece of code.

The only added requirement would be sqlite, which is small, stable and
works pretty much everywhere.

Alternatives: Mysql-embedded could be used. I don't know the details, pros
or cons about it.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Imminentizing the eschaton since 1971.