List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Fundraising in KDE
From:       "Eike Hein" <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2020-09-23 11:32:55

Hi everyone,

As Carl's email has lead to people reaching out to me with immediate worries about \
KDE e.V.'s financial health, allow me to provide some additional context. :-)

KDE e.V.'s expenses in 2019 were higher than its income. This was by design, because \
the organization has accumulated large financial reserves in recent years and it is \
obligated, as a non-profit, to put them towards its mission statement. This \
scaling-up of our expenses was done carefully; we're not dependent on this additional \
spending to keep up our core activities. Additionally, the size of the delta is also \
an artifact of several large membership payments slipping to the 2020 financial year.

To hammer it home: KDE e.V. is currently in the financially strongest position it has \
been in its history, and has more options today than it had in the past. Our most \
immediate concern is spending money, not fundraising.

This situation is (as it should) leading to proposals for how to scale up KDE e.V.'s \
activities, leading to further increase in spending. One such proposal is the one \
mentioned by Carl, submitted by Nate. As we discuss and probe these proposals and \
their various potentials for becoming policy, their sustainability is under review.

This is great, aand a buzz of activity around making relate.kde.org better for the \
longer-term future is very welcome.

If you have further questions about KDE e.V.s finances, feel free to take a look at \
the financial statements in our annual reports[0] or to reach out to me directly.

0 = https://ev.kde.org/reports/ev-2019/

Cheers,
Eike Hein
-