List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: [kde-community] Updating our vision
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-01-29 8:27:53

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 21.39.14 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> when Heiko and me wrote our Human Interface Guideline for product
> Visions, we  wanted to link to the overall KDE Vision. However, when we
> looked it up at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/Principles/KDE4_Vision we
> noticed that it is for KDE4 and we haven't found a vision document for
> the next generation of our products yet. I think the majority of
> content from the KDE4 vision will still be relevant for the next
> generation, but we might want to update some parts of it as well.

That page said "accessed 500 times", for a document written in 2008, I'd
say its not been read that often.

A vision makes sense for a big company, to keep everyone towing the party-
line and avoid people misunderstanding where the leaders are going.
Its part of the ongoing communication from leaders to underlings.

In open source, Its tricky. Any vision for something like KDE will be made
up and not really be carried by the majority of the leaders, since everyone
contributing to open source is a leader.

It would make sense to for induvidual projects, any project where they can
agree on a vision, like in Krita, it will make a powerful communication
tool to future contributors.

In short; a vision is useful in itself, but for something as big as KDE, I
believe its not useful due to the vision itself not being representative.
--
Thomas Zander