This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --nextPart2145921.OBFZWjSADL Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" On Sonntag, 28. April 2024 12:50:06 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote: > El divendres, 19 d=E2=80=99abril del 2024, a les 11:17:09 (CEST), Anna (c= ybertailor) > Vyalkova va escriure: > > Hi, > >=20 > > I'd like to develop Nim applications (with possible GUI support via > > nimqt) but this language lacks support for any standard build system. > >=20 > > So that's the thing I'm focused on right now (just happened to also be > > my favorite thing). > >=20 > > Alternatives I considered: > >=20 > > 1. Procedure described in "CMakeAddNewLanguage.txt". First of all, > > that's scary and second it doesn't cover my use case: Nim is not a > > compiler but rather a transpiler. It compiles Nim code into C/C++/JS > > code and then calls system compiler to get native binaries. These steps > > could be separated. > >=20 > > 2. Going with my own "nim-for-cmake" module library. That's possible but > > requires lots of boilerplate code that can be avoided if these modules > > become part of ECM. > >=20 > > I've implemented an alternative build system for Nim's "nimble" packages > > before so I know the necessary steps: 1) find the compiler, 2) find the > > deps, 3) generate a json-script, 4) extract the depfiles, 5) execute the > > script. > >=20 > > Can I start making such ECM module or should it be a separate CMake > > module library? >=20 > You will probably find more people that know about ECM in kde frameworks > devel mailing list than here, this list is nowadays pretty dormant. >=20 > My suggetsion would be, talk to the cmake folks, they are a relatively op= en > bunch of people that like their build system to support as many things > possible and what you really want is to have support in cmake itself, not > having to include some extra stuff to make it work. yes, right here, probably the "Development" channel: https://discourse.cmake.org/[1] Alex =2D------- [1] https://discourse.cmake.org/ --nextPart2145921.OBFZWjSADL Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"

On Sonntag, 28. April 2024 12:50:06 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:

>= ; El divendres, 19 d=E2=80=99abril del 2024, a les 11:17:09 (CEST), Anna (c= ybertailor)

>= ; Vyalkova va escriure:

>= ; > Hi,

>= ; >

>= ; > I'd like to develop Nim applications (with possible GUI support via<= /p>

>= ; > nimqt) but this language lacks support for any standard build system= =2E

>= ; >

>= ; > So that's the thing I'm focused on right now (just happened to also = be

>= ; > my favorite thing).

>= ; >

>= ; > Alternatives I considered:

>= ; >

>= ; > 1. Procedure described in "CMakeAddNewLanguage.txt". First= of all,

>= ; > that's scary and second it doesn't cover my use case: Nim is not a

>= ; > compiler but rather a transpiler. It compiles Nim code into C/C++/JS=

>= ; > code and then calls system compiler to get native binaries. These st= eps

>= ; > could be separated.

>= ; >

>= ; > 2. Going with my own "nim-for-cmake" module library. That'= s possible but

>= ; > requires lots of boilerplate code that can be avoided if these modul= es

>= ; > become part of ECM.

>= ; >

>= ; > I've implemented an alternative build system for Nim's "nimble&= quot; packages

>= ; > before so I know the necessary steps: 1) find the compiler, 2) find = the

>= ; > deps, 3) generate a json-script, 4) extract the depfiles, 5) execute= the

>= ; > script.

>= ; >

>= ; > Can I start making such ECM module or should it be a separate CMake<= /p>

>= ; > module library?

>= ;

>= ; You will probably find more people that know about ECM in kde frameworks<= /p>

>= ; devel mailing list than here, this list is nowadays pretty dormant.

>= ;

>= ; My suggetsion would be, talk to the cmake folks, they are a relatively op= en

>= ; bunch of people that like their build system to support as many things

>= ; possible and what you really want is to have support in cmake itself, not=

>= ; having to include some extra stuff to make it work.

yes, right here, probably the "Development" channel:

https://discourse.cmake.org/

Alex

--nextPart2145921.OBFZWjSADL--