List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Web Browser, font smoothing etc.
From:       Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-04-08 17:29:12

Klaus Voelker <kavau@yahoo.com>
> There's a thing I've been thinking about recently:  Adobe Acrobat
> renders the most beautiful fonts I have seen on an X system so far.

Yes, postscript fonts, mostly, in the CCF format, which I guess is
converted to Type 1 inside Acrobat and then rendered.

> Could it be possible to take Acrobat's font rendering engine and build
> a text editor or web browser or a similar application around it
> (Licence issues notwithstanding)?

No.  Adobe's code is proprietary and licenses are said to cost $200+
per end-user.

> One would not be at the X-server's
> mercy anymore!

What's wrong with improving the X server?

The X server has a more primitive version of the same font rendering
engine.  The one in XFree86 4.0 won't, apparently, be as primitive as
the 3.x one is.  If that still isn't good enough, I suggest learning a
bit about Type 1 fonts and hacking on the X server.

--Arnt