List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Japanese support for Qt and KDE
From:       Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-01-17 1:23:38

Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net>
> On 16 Jan 1999, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> > > Unicode may be sufficient for reading Kanjis, but it definitely isn't
> > > for writing them.
> > Unicode is for storing text.  Not for reading, not for writing.
> > You need some sort of input method for entering text into a computer.
> > Unicode does not say a word about how that input method should work.
>
> What input methods will Qt2.0 support? kinput2+canna for Japanese?

I haven't the faintest idea.  All -I- know is that it looks sort of
magic when Paul types and kanji appears on the screen :)

> Might be useful if Qt2.0 had utility methods for converting from EUC/JIS
> to internal Unicode and back...

$ grep -li euc */q*.cpp
kernel/qapplication.cpp
kernel/qapplication_x11.cpp
kernel/qfont_x11.cpp
tools/qeuccodec.cpp
tools/qutfcodec.cpp
$ grep -li jis */q*.cpp
dialogs/qprintdialog.cpp
kernel/qfont_x11.cpp
kernel/qlayout.cpp
tools/qeuccodec.cpp
$

That jis in qprintdialog must be a miss.  Apart from that it should be
there.

A codec, in qtspeak, is a thing to convert between "pure" unicode
(UCS-2) and some legacy/i18y thing.

--Arnt