List:       kde
Subject:    Windows 2000
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1998-12-05 15:15:53

Hello,

Do some of you regularly read MSJ (Microsoft Systems Journal) ??? You should,
know your enemy...

This month I read something very useful in the editorial. Microsoft will use MS
DNA in its upcoming WinNT release. MS DNA stands for "Microsoft Distributed
interNet Application. The technology focuses on breaking regular applications
into a 3-tier environment: the presentation, the business logic and the data
layer. It's purpose is to break the tight connection between GUI, business
logic and data management. So you should be able to write an application once,
and let several GUI use the same business logic. It is like having a GUI using
KDE, a GUI using DHTML, ... wich are all using the same business logic, data
layers, ...

I know, the theory probably sounds better then the real thing. I only wanted to
say that when Windows 2000 is released and the features get known, I think
Linux/KDE/... will have a hard time not loosing ground!

We should consider this when looking at the future of the KDE project. As I
said several times in the past, the KDE should now focus on common services,
layers, KOM components, intranet integration, ... and not on the 250th little
KMyFirstApp. Remember Win 3.11 also had hundereds of small apps. Eventually
they all disappeared...

BDR