List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A Plea for Simple Data Components: Priority One for KDE or QT
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1998-12-03 11:05:23

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Robert Lichtenberger wrote:

As I mentioned to some other KDE Developers in the past: KDE is an
evolving product and I see some very similar lines with Microsoft.

MS Windows started as a GUI shell on top of DOS. Then applications like
office began to ask more from the OS and shell. So technologies like OLE
where invented (or stolen). After a while, some of the office applications
wanted the possibility to connect to legacy Database servcer. ODBC was
developed. Then MS saw that it was becoming harder and harder to maintain
a network of Windows computers, they developed the Registry, System
Management Console, ...

KDE is going exactly the same way -> first it was only a shell. Now it
adds multimedia layers. KOffice uses KOM. Some people are asking for
database connectivity... So, instead of thinking "do we need it", assume
you will need it. There is no need to copy the MS way. They have choosen a
path that has proven to have several designflaws, problems, ...

So does KDE need the following ?

	- Database components
	- Central access to configuration data
	- services management
	- ...

Yes !! When ? Now and not in 2 years. How to implement ? So, that it
remains generic enough so that both GNOME and the KDE can benefit from the
same code and programs. So seperate GUI from the application. Make it use
a generic eventsystem, a generic configuration system, ... See my mail
about the "Virtual Config System". That system should put an abstract
layer on top of the actually used configuration system.

BDR