List:       kde
Subject:    RE: Questions about KDE project
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1998-09-28 13:42:58

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Doug Glenn wrote:
[snip]
> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:
>
> >I would say that threads never became a big thing in UNIX because so far
> >programmers have been using separate processes that communicate with each
> >other by well-defined IPC messages (not just the IPC mechanics but also
> >the state machines that describe transactions between the processes).
>
> Unfortunately, this does not seem very well implemented initially in
> KDE

You can find IPC used for this purpose in a few apps already, most notably
kfm transfers (which includes, for example, opening net files in kview,
kedit etc) and kaudioserver.

But I agree that wide-spread use of background processing of lengthy tasks
is still not widely employed. If you are having trouble with any one
particular application that would greatly benefit from this feature,
please mention it and we can discuss how to go about implementing this.

> or any of the other WMs out there at this time.
                      ^^^

KDE is not a WM. ;)

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   KDE: The Desktop sans Toga