List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE file system standards
From:       Alex Stewart <riche () crl ! com>
Date:       1998-08-31 5:12:29

> We thought up a NextStep-like system, with dirs called CAPSULES,
> containing all of the app and an 'exports' file, which registers resources
> that should be shared ( like icons / toolbar pics, binaries, mimetypes ).
>
> These registered resources could be found using a findResource() method in
> KApplication, or a separate lib ( for non-KDE-app compatibility ).

This goes a bit beyond what I was thinking, and I'm not sure this level of
location abstraction is necessarily a good thing (I _like_ the idea that
certain things always go in certain places).

However, I think that effectively the same level of flexibility can be
implemented simply using traditional unix symlinks (with the added advantage
that it wouldn't require a special library routine and would be more compatible
with legacy or non/KDE apps).

> The system should automatically detect these CAPSULES when it encounters
> them (in the SYSTEM of USER apps dir ), and check out the exports file.

I do think a facility to specify additional locations where things like this
can be placed would be useful (particularly for some larger environments which
have tierh own filesystem requirements to integrate with KDE's requirements).
This should, however, be explicitly specified by a local system administrator
and/or user, not something automatically searched for by KDE.

> Any one interested in this project?

This having been said, I might be interested in working on a project of this
nature, subject to some of my comments above.  Being new to KDE, however, I
wanted to get a feel for what other people thought of such ideas before just
launching into something.

-alex