List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE Pluggins Project
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1998-01-25 10:29:46

On Sat, Jan 24, 1998 at 10:50:20PM +0000, Micha³ Mosiewicz wrote:
> So I decided to experiment with the idea of KDE Pluggin Interface, that
> is based on shared object and dynamic loader library. This API has
> following goals:

I made a lib to dynamicaly load objects from a shared library as in Java.
e.g: DynLib dynLib = DynLib("libXXX.so");

     MyObject *myObject = dynlib.loadClass("MyObject");
     // myObject is a pointer to MyObject !!

> 1. We will write a shared objects that will be dropped into some
> directories, like ${KDEDIR}/lib/pluggins
> 2. Each module will include standard functions to:
>   a) Initialize shared code
>   b) Give information about mime-types, documents identifiers that the
> module is able to serve
>   c) Give information about file extensions that the module is able to
> serve
>   d) Construct QWidget (or even QObject) derrivative objects
> 3. We will create KPlugginRegistry. This class will following features:
>   a) Upon construction it will check the pluggin directory for shared
> modules and register their capabilities in a private database
>   b) It will give user a standard functions to check for
> mime-types/formats served by the modules as well as file extensions
>   c) It will initialize apropriate shared modules when needed and unload
> it after they are no longer used
>   d) It will use an object constructor in apropriate module and return a
> derrivative of QWidget (Qobject)

Sounds like JavaBeans wich have a sister PropertyClass with conventional
namegiving for locating the class.

Using plugins to mimic dynamic components...??? What we need is an
implementation of the OMG CORBA 2.0 Trader service. Comparable with the
Yellow Pages of Objects.

Bavo De Ridder