List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] no shell, so well..
From:       Jürgen Appel <juergen_appel () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-19 19:34:29

here are some contribs for the next kc kde. russell, i am quite busy atm
learning and doing some stuff on

http://edu.kde.org/contrib/kvtml.php

at some point, you might want to mention it, but atm it s not yet ready for
primetime. let me know if that would fit into the "other news" section. i ll
then let you know when i think it s become more useable.

but back to the sentence that startet line 1. i ll try to keep an eye on
koffice and kde-edu.. but expect as few, maybe less contribs from me for some
time, as you get now..

Juergen

["ko summar.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
   title="Tool to Summarize Texts for KOffice"
   author="Juergen Appel"
   contact="valiantALL@SPAMTOBLACKHOLEweb.de"
   subject="Automatic text summarizer"
   archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&amp;m=105464849616262&amp;w=2"
   posts="4"
   startdate="Tue Jun  3 15:47:54 2003"
   enddate="Wed Jun  4 18:12:47 2003"

<topic>KOffice</topic>
Nadav Rotem wrote a tool that summarizes texts. It was his very own very
nice idea, to tell KOffice-developers about it:

<quote who="Nadav Rotem">
Hi KWord people!

I wanted to present a feature that be nice to have in KWord;
I coded an automatic text summarizer that summarizes texts in multiple
languages. At the moment it can summarize texts in English and Hebrew.
Support for German , Russian and Arabic is underway.

The name of the project is called OTS (Open Text Summarizer); It
includes a command line tool for summarizing texts and libots for
programs to use; OTS resides on the abiword CVS for abiwords has a
plug-in for it.

OTS has 3 modes:<br/>

<ul>
<li>
1.Summarizer - summarizes the text to n% of the original size
</li>

<li>
2.Highlighter - Highlight the m% important sentences in the article - generates html;
</li>

<li>
3.About - tells you a list of a key words the article talks about
</li>
</ul>

I think it would be nice if KWord had this feature. OTS provides a cool
interface for programs to use and its pretty trivial to implement a
plugin for;

On-line demo for the program: (english only because of old perl 5.6)
http://nadav.homelinux.org/otsDemo.html</a>

Announcements:<br/>

CVS:<br/>
http://www.abisource.com/lxr/source/ots/</a>
</quote>

The issue was raised that the tool itself depends on glib2, which would be
a new dependency for <a href="http://www.koffice.org">KOffice</a>.
Since <a href="http://www.koffice.org">KOffice</a> does not yet depend
on the upcoming
KDE 3.2</a>, which will make glib2 for
to either compile and provide a binary of
dependency for <a href="http://www.koffice.org">KOffice</a> - only compile it
when glib2 is available.
</section>
["head.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
   title="Kard in KDE-Edu"
   author="Juergen Appel"
   contact="valiantALL@SPAMTOBLACKHOLEweb.de"
   subject="[kde-edu-devel] Kard"
   archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu-devel&amp;m=105495076816871&amp;w=2"
   posts="4"
   startdate="Sat Jun  7 03:52:10 2003"
   enddate="Sun Jun 15 13:46:08 2003"

<topic>KDE-Edu</topic>

Recently Anne-Marie Mahfouf introduced another addition to the

<quote who="Anne-Marie Mahfouf">
Hi all,

I rewrote the first game I coded for KDE and I imported it in cvs HEAD in
kdenonbeta. The name is Kard and it's a Memory-like game for young kids.

At the moment, I have 2 major problems in Kard, in the kardview.cpp file.
1) when I set the theme to "house", there are pictures on the cards and they
are not sized correctly.<br/>
2) when I click 2 same cards in this theme "house", their backgrounds are
not recognized to be equal.

KardWidget is the widget for one card i.e. a QLabel with another QLabel on
top of it to hide it.<br/>
In kardview.cpp:<br/>
The layout of the game is done in the game() method (cards are drawn, colors
or pics are set as background).<br/>
Then when you click on a card, you go to slotTimer() and there the card is
identified by<br/>
kardW[co] = (KardWidget* ) sender();<br/>
co being 0 then incremented<br/>
when 2 cards are discovered, the connection is stopped (clicking on a card
has no effect) and in slotMatch() I see if the cards have the same
backgrounds.<br/>
But this does not work when the background is a pixmap (colors work OK).

If someone has some time to have a look at this, it would be great as I am
lost... Maybe my approach to the problem is not good...
</quote>

Some of the problems have been fixed right away by Whitehawk Stormchaser:

<quote who="Whitehawk Stormchaser">

OK... I have patched the CVS a bit... This is fixed:<br/>

<ul>
<li>
Compatibility with the older version of Qt (3.1) (I still have it)
</li>

<li>
Don't crash on the changing the number of cards
</li>

<li>
Make the 'theme1' actually install
</li>
</ul>

</quote>
</section>
["more.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
   title="OpenOffice Export Improved"
   author="Juergen Appel"
   contact="valiantALL@SPAMTOBLACKHOLEweb.de"
   subject="OOWriter export"
   archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&amp;m=105578334612273&amp;w=2"
   posts="3"
   startdate="Mon Jun 16 19:08:29 2003"
   enddate="Tue Jun 17 16:17:55 2003"

<topic>KOffice</topic>
<topic>Filters</topic>
<topic>KWord</topic>
Nicolas G. made some improvements to the OpenOffice Writer export
filter of <a href="http://www.koffice.org">KOffice</a>. He mentions
the following:

<quote who="Nicolas G.">
I have improved KWord's OOWriter export.

It can do a few basic things: text, formattings, some fields (including
hyperlinks) and pictures.

This is more or less what I can do without big modifications. I consider this
status acceptable for KOffice 1.3.

It will depend on Lukas if this filter will be in Beta 2.

Please test the filter and give feedback!

For now, I am going to try to fix the bugs of the (other) export filters of
KWord.
Have a nice<br/>
day!

</quote>
While his last comment is generally a good idea - you might want to try
these filters yourself but don't know
how to get them with CVS</a>. Well, you can
get them with the recently released
</section>