List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    [magick-users] Re: libEMF library
From:       Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr () lazerware ! com>
Date:       2002-10-02 18:11:21

At 7:06 PM +0400 10/2/02, Vadim Plessky wrote:
>I would be appreciate if such library (either enhanced libEMF, or enhanced
>libwmf, or one new *super-library*) would be independent from renderer
>itself.

	libwmf and libEMF are both renderer independent.  Also, my
work on an EMF library as well as that of FJF also lead to output
format independence...

>I believe we need one *universal library* which can convert multiple vector
>formats one into another, and separate library(libraries)/frontends which
>perform conversion to raster pixmap (rasterization).

	That would be nice...

>In ideal, infrastructire for handling vector formats should be following:
>(nothing new, FreeType has similar architecture, and this allows add support
>for new font formats easily)
>
>   Format reader (parser/driver)  -->  Unified vector format  --> Format writer
>(driver)
>So you woul dbe able to convert different vector formats as:
>   [WMF/EMF/SVG/EPS/PS/AI]  -->  Unified vector format  -->
>    --> [WMF/EMF/SVG/EPS/PS/AI]

	As Bob pointed out already, ImageMagick sort of does this for
a limited set of formats (WMF and SVG) by itself or a few more (PS,
EPS, PDF) in conjunction with pstoedit through it's MVG internal
format which is a non-XML-based SVG.

	But that's input only - IM has no concept of format writing.
It would certainly be possible to write vector output modules for IM
by taking MVG (if it existed) and converting that to the output
format in question.

>|  What I'd ideally like to see are light, efficient conversion libraries
>| that turn WMF and EMF into SVG.

	libwmf does this for WMF->SVG, and using libEMF for doing SVG
output wouldn't be huge amount of work.   I also have an EMF library
that I've been working on that can output PDF and SWF currently via
"plugin" output formats.

>Speaking about SVG: SVG has support for *fonts*.
>Do you plan to support SVG fonts? If yes, to what extent?
>In my opinion, SVG fonts belong to FreeType are. If you wnat support for SVg
>fonts - you need to write FreeType driver for them.

	FreeType should already support them since they are (if I
remember correctly) just CFF fonts - for which there is already a
driver in FT.  If not, then yes, a driver for FT would need to be
written.

	Of course, most SVG documents don't include the embedded fonts...

LDR