List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    [magick-users] Re: libEMF library
From:       Jody Goldberg <jody () gnome ! org>
Date:       2002-10-02 15:16:38

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 07:06:12PM +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> I think that during import process WMF/EMF should be converted to SVG (or our
> new *unified vector format*), and during export of, say, MS Word .doc file -
> converted back from SVG to WMF/EMF (so, Word 2000 from SM would be able to
> read it)

I don't think that is a good idea.  Converting from the native
format to something will always introduce some degredation.
The approach I'm taking in gnumeric is to store in native format
(wmf,emf ...) and convert for rasterization and display.  That way
if the image has not been edited (the vast majority of the time for
Office type apps) the image can be saved back in the native form
without having to worry about another layer of translation.