List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: No module anymore & perfect zoom feature
From:       Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-03-01 7:40:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 5:49 AM, Samuel Thibault <
samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So, I also saw the removal of generic modules.
>
> Unfortunately we currently need it for implementing perfect zoom feature
> :)
>
> The context is that visual-impaired users need magnification of the
> desktop. Changing font sizes / dpi etc. have their limit, at some point
> we need to just have a zoomed view of a piece of the screen. Currently
> compiz' ezoom takes the piece of the screen, and magnify it to show it
> on the screen, with obviously awful pixelization effects.
>
> Our idea was very similar to gtk-vector-screenshot : instead of taking
> the output as it is displayed on the screen, get a module loaded within
> the application, with which ezoom can discuss to make the application
> produce a magnified rendering of its window, which ezoom can then show
> in the magnification glass, thus getting perfect zoom.
>
> Without module loading, I don't know how to implement it :) Or perhaps
> this could be added as an AT-SPI interface?

If it is a toolkit-level feature that is needed desktop-wide, it needs to
be implemented in the toolkit proper, not added through the backdoor via a
module. I know that this will require some rearchitecting and may not be
super-easy, but I still believe that this is the right way forward.