List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Functional programming with GLib
From:       Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-09 18:57:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Tristan Van Berkom <
tristan.vanberkom@codethink.co.uk> wrote:

> Some things that I'm finding important for CLI apps:
>
> A.) Automatic generation of man pages and similar documentation,
>     especially generating separate man pages for each separate sub
>     command.
>
>     I'm not even sure, do we have this already ?

I fail to see the value of a man page that just repeats what --help already
tells me.  Why is this useful ?

> B.) Built-in support for bash completions, allowing optional overrides
>     for the application to implement custom completion suggestions
>     for selected options/arguments.

This on the other hand, is very useful. But hard to do in a way that is
generic enough for all possible styles of
commandline interface that people have built with GOption. Do you have a
suggestion for this ?