List:       gnome
Subject:    Evolution edit filter locks up entire UI
From:       Guy Rouillier <guy-rouillier () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2003-03-24 6:28:37

I searched the bug database and various gnome mailing list archives and
couldn't find a discussion of this subject.  I'm using Mandrake 9.0.
Under Evolution 1.2.2 (downloaded from the Ximian site), if I select
message filters, I'll get a dialog box showing existing filters.  If I
double click on a filter in that list, Evolution will pop up another
dialog to edit that filter.  At that point, the entire GUI is completely
locked up.  I cannot even click on the foot icon in the task bar (i.e.,
open the system menu).  I cannot move the filter edit dialog (the last
one to open), but I can edit within it, including using the tab key to
move from one text field to the next.  Once I close this edit dialog,
the GUI is freed up.  Note that if you simply select a filter with a
single click and then open it by clicking on the edit button, the GUI is
not locked up.  Only double clicking the filter produces the lockup.

I've already filed a severe bug report with Ximian, but I think this is
also a severe bug with gnome.  No application should ever be able to
freeze the GUI to the point where I can't even open the system menu.
This seems like a basic architectural flaw.

Is this a known issue, or should I open a new bug?