List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] hostname
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-02-02 20:32:39

On Sunday 02 February 2003 01:01 pm, Martyn Welch wrote:
> hades root # grep hades /etc/*
> /etc/csh.env:setenv HOSTNAME 'hades.flapper.net'
> /etc/hostname:hades.flapper.net
> /etc/profile.env:export HOSTNAME='hades.flapper.net'
>
> I believe the main (and reasonably standard place to set it) is
> /etc/hostname, which AFAIK only holds this value. The others are
> setting an environment variable which is set on login (I think they
> are for csh and bash)

All correct.

> There maybe a command that sets these all, I don't know. In the past
> I have just set /etc/hostname manually (I am newish to gentoo).

Whenever you run env-update, it generates /etc/{csh,profile}.env, based
on the the settings in /etc/env.d, /etc/hostname (in fact, it does a
bunch more stuff, but that's irrelevent right now).

> P.S.: Does anyone want to spread any light in why profile.env and
> csh.env don't retrieve the hostname from /etc/hostname? That would
> make sense to me!

Why should they? You could replace the 'hades.flapper.net' in *.env with
`cat /etc/hostname`, but if you're going to automatically generate those
files anyway, requiring the shell to load /etc/hosname on startup is
just more work. Granted that on a fast processor, this would be
vanishingly small in terms of time, but it's still pointless.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>