List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Usb-uhci fails to load
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-02-02 16:36:35

On Sunday 02 February 2003 01:24 am, Alan Nilsson wrote:
> on 2/01/03 10:55 PM, Bruce J.A. Nourish at kode187@kode187.net wrote:
> Here is my stuff:
> Amd XP1800, ASUS Nvidia nforce chipset
> Kernel 2.4.20 on Gentoo 1.4rc1
>
> Output from insmod:
>
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o: init_module: No
> such device

I can't really help you much with that. I've never had evperience with
NVidia chipsets. Maybe someone else does. You could try using the
alternative UHCI stack, or possibly (as someone else suggested) you
board has an OHCI chipset. You could just build all of them as modules,
and try each one.

> After I try to insmod, the following 3 lines are added to kernel log:
> usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 04:51:44 Jan 31 2003
> usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
> usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
>
> > The uhci driver allows the kernel to manage the USB controller. The
> > HID module allows the kernel to manage human interface devices
> > (keyboards, mice, joysticks etc). The mousedev (and also evdev,
> > joydev, and keybdev) provide interfaces to user programs (X, gpm)
> > that allow them to actually use the device.
>
> So how do the uhci & the hid work together?

The same way filesystem drivers work on top of hard disk drivers, or
HTTP connetions work on top of TCP/IP. uhci provides low level funtions
like moving data down the wire, and managing devices. hid actually uses
the device (via the uhci driver).

> Why is there a separate driver for human interfaces?

Err, why not? Good programmers generally move independent parts of a
program into discrete chunks. Not everybody who has a uhci controller
has a hid device - why force them to load the code for HID every time
they load the uhci module?

> > In short, mousedev and hid do different things: if you want to use
> > your mouse, you need both.
>
> OK sorry, wrote the wrong thing usbmouse Vs. hid?  Gentoo docs say
> one or the other not both.  Whats the diff?

Basically, usbmouse is smaller (tiny, in fact) compared to hid. It
switches the mouse into "Boot Protocol" mode, and uses this limited
protocol to use only it's basic features. The same goes for the
usbkeyboard module.

If you want to read the rationale for this, go into the kernel directory
and make menuconfig. Go to the USB menu and look up the help for HID
and usbmouse.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>