List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] via82xx sound problems.
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-01-21 15:26:30

On Monday 20 January 2003 11:22 pm, Jonathan Gill wrote:
> /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
>  * Shutting down ALSA modules....
> lsm/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1047: No soundcards found...
> [ ok ]
> pixie dev # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> visor                   9640   0
> usbserial              19580   0  [visor]
> NVdriver             1067008  10  (autoclean)
> lp                      7040   0  (autoclean)
> uhci                   26896   0  (unused)
> usbcore                47552   0  [visor usbserial uhci]
> parport_pc             16004   1
> parport                26528   1  [lp parport_pc]
> pixie dev # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
>  * Initialising ALSA....
>  * Starting sound driver: snd-via82xx Warning: ignoring
> snd_major=116, no such parameter in this module
> Warning: ignoring snd_cards_limit=1, no such parameter in this module
> Module snd loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-seq-device loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-rawmidi loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-mpu401-uart loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-timer loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-pcm loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-ac97-codec loaded, with warnings
> Module snd-via82xx loaded, with warnings
> [ ok ]
>  * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your
> card!
>
> ------- start dmesg dump -------------------
>
> ALSA ../alsa-kernel/pci/via82xx.c:354: codec_ready: codec 0 is not
> ready [0x1000000]
> [lots of this]
> ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c:1562: AC'97 0:0 access
> is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer.

Wierd. I must say, nothing leaps out and grabs me, saying what's wrong.
I'm using version 0.9.0_rc6 , and my card works perfectly. Is that the
version you are using? If not, could you upgrade to it?

A slightly dumb question: is the kernel you are running now the same one
that you were runniing when you emerged ALSA?

Try disabling the NVidia drivers and rebooting. Even if that doesn't
solve the problem and if it gets to the point where you need to submit
a bug, the kernel people will reject it out of hand if the kernel is
tainted.

Could you send in your /etc/modules.d/alsa? I've put mine up at:

http://www.kode187.net/alsa.txt

Substitute that in for yours, run modules-update and see what happens.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>