List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Memory
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-01-11 22:52:39

On Saturday 11 January 2003 02:13 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> Most programs that do disk caching can do straight memory caching
> too. The biggest gain can be /tmp. Further the added memory allready
> causes a higher cache hit percentage.

The author of the tmpfs kernel code mounts his /tmp as a tmpfs
filesystem, so everything goes into RAM until it runs out, then the old
stuff goes into swap. The only catch is that you can't mount loopback
filesystems on tmpfs. This won't affect any gentoo system scripts, but
means that you can't (say) build a boot floppy on /tmp (you could use ~
or /var/tmp).

However, I think one of the previous posters was right in saying that
/var/{run,lock} would be more trouble than it was worth - they would be
taken care of amply by the kernel buffer cache.

Get the scoop at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>