List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX: What is the file nxclient good for?
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-07-20 13:42:49

Kent Schumacher wrote:
> Fabian Franz is the main developer of the free versions of NX.
>
> Marcello Blancasio is a developer with Nomachine (I think).
>
> This little exchange is pretty indicative of why NX needs to be forked
> and why the commercial client and free server have problems interacting...

Dude -- who are you??

Your stupid outburst sounds like the *real* developers of the NX core
technology (NoMachine) need to be punished and castigated by a fork be-
cause there is something you don't like about it.

You don't seem to understand that FreeNX *still* relies for 99% of its
functionality on the NoMachine-provided core libraries. FreeNX is a
very thin layer of glue code that makes using NoMachine's GPL code more
easily usable for users (otherwise they'd have to knit together each
session by commandline means, involving half a dozen commands with
many dozen of parameters (and many hundred of characters to be typed).

NoMachine's developers have contributed a thousand times more hours into
FreeNX (via the NX core libs) than Fabian put into it. (And I mean the
"thousand" literally, not just as a florid expression.)

"Forking" is not a thing which one does because of some temporary mood,
or as a punishment for someone else. (And valid reasons pro, as well as
contra to a fork I found in recent archives of this mailing list. Your
post will not qualify for more than "an unaffected idiot chimes into a
conversation of other people discussing their own work").

If you do it you need to be serious about it. And if there are benefits
for users and developers. And if you are *able* to do the required work....

You think you can just root for and cheer along others to do work that
you like to be done? That you yourself didn't do (for whatever reason,
maybe no coding skills?) even so you think it is the most urgent thing
to accomplish in the world?

Please, refrain from creating diversions and bad blood just for the fun
of it.

NX is too valuable for everybody.

Boy, did your post annoy me...

> On 07/20/2007 08:00 AM, User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client wrote:
>
> > Fabian Franz wrote:
> >
> > > If we could, we would have done that a long time ago ...
> > >
> > > Well, it needs to be called nxclient, because nxagent is searching for that exact file in path with \
> > > option dialog. I dunno why the hell they did not just call it nxdialog and then run it via nxclient \
> > > Its just another one of those annoying things NX ships hardcoded with.
> > >
> > I don't know where on earth you found that the path of nxclient binary
> > is hardcoded. Please, could you point me to the code where it is done?
> >
> > The location of nxclient binary can be specified in the NX_CLIENT
> > environment variable. Nothing constrains you to call it 'nxclient',
> > it can be called as you like.
> >
> > Every time nxagent needs to display a dialog box, it uses nxcomp
> > library, that retrieves the nxclient binary location from the
> > NX_CLIENT variable.
> >
> > If you guys had read the code - instead of whining - as developers
> > are supposed to do, you would have realized these things.
> >
> > We are becoming tired of guys spreading disinformation and FUD.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better checking the facts, rather than talking about
> > word of mouth?
> >
> > I hope the following article will help you:
> >
> > http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR07E00479
> >
> > Best Regards.
> >
> > /Marcello Blancasio.

Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS
Infotec Deutschland GmbH  .....................  Hedelfinger Strasse 58
A RICOH Company  ...........................  D-70327 Stuttgart/Germany