List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] DPI an issue with 1.5?
From:       Gian Filippo Pinzari <pinzari () nomachine ! com>
Date:       2005-09-21 8:47:22

Sunil wrote:
> isn't a fallback better than just failing the session,

The session is not failing. The session remains suspended until it can
be successfully reconnected. If you are playing with NX at home, an
application crash is likely to be a minor problem, but if you are using
NX to do serious work, or have your applications managing valuable data,
this is hardly acceptable.

If you were a business, and would be motivated to use NX because it
saves you the day, you would investigate which font can't be reconnected
and would set up the server environment to disable its use in clients.

> I think has been the age old fallback
> mechanism of X for any application. I have rarely seen
> an app which fails just because X couldn't find a font
> the app asked for.

I think you miss to understand the problem. The application has opened
the font successfully -before- the session was suspended. Now the font
isn't there but the application doesn't have any way to know that because
X doesn't provide a "Sorry, the font you were using is not valid anymore;
select another" message.

/Gian Filippo.