List:       freedesktop-xorg-devel
Subject:    Re: [ANNOUNCE] X Server 1.19.7 maintenance release plan
From:       "Kevin Brace" <kevinbrace () gmx ! com>
Date:       2019-02-07 3:48:57

Hi René,

I am planning to mainly release a maintenance release of 1.19 and possibly 1.18 \
later. As Alan Coopersmith has stated, XAA has been gone for some time, and I doubt I \
am allowed to apply the 24-bit bpp EXA patch to older X Server releases and ship a \
new version.  As for old S3 (i.e., Vision and Trio) and S3 ViRGE, I recently tested \
them on X Server 1.19.6, and at least ViRGE PCI and ViRGE GX2 AGP appear to work \
nominally okay. What I mean by "nominally okay" is, booting X Server and being able \
to change the screen resolution from an OS panel. Since it is "nominally okay," of \
course, there is no acceleration and standby resume is broken.

S3 Trio and older series appear to be broken and I am not able to even boot X Server \
with some devices like Vision 968 (both TI and IBM RAMDAC). I did try Trio32 1 MB, \
but the screen is pretty messed up (it did boot X Server). I can retry this with \
16-bit color depth later.  For the past 6 to 7 days, I have been trying to get old \
Trident graphics cards (i.e., TGUI and ProVidia) working with X Server 1.19, and I \
have now figured out why it is not working. I will discuss this over on my blog soon.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com