List:       freedesktop-xorg-devel
Subject:    Bug in xrandr gammas
From:       crawlman () protonmail ! com
Date:       2019-01-14 14:17:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Hi!

So, I have a rare neurological condition, and it is very important to me that I can \
have control over color outputs from my monitor screen. After searching for months, I \
have come to xrandr as the only available solution for linux to change the behaviour \
of rgb channels. The problem is, it does not allow to change directly the intensity \
of different rgb channels. It only allows to change "gamma", whatever that is. When I \
set blue and green gamma all the way down, grey colors turn into red. This is what I \
wanted. But the "gamma" option does not make any difference for white. White is \
completely unaffected by xrandr. Every other color get's filtered, except by white.

I am not sure whether this is a bug in xrandr gamma handling, or if the technical \
definition of "gamma", which I cannot understand, implies that white should in fact \
be unaffected. But it would be very important, then, to have an option to directly \
control the intensities of output of each rgb channel. So, if I wanted to shut down \
green and blue output entirely, I could.

Hope someone can help with this problem!

Thanks for your patience.