List:       freedesktop-xorg-devel
Subject:    Releasing the next maintenance releases of X Server 1.19 and older
From:       "Kevin Brace" <kevinbrace () gmx ! com>
Date:       2019-01-03 2:09:45

Hi,

Now that the new year has started, I can finally send out this posting.
I will like to see a new maintenance release of X Server 1.19 and even older versions \
over the next two months.  Over the past month, I have finally poured in significant \
time resources to figure out why Xfce desktop manager crashes with SiS 6326 graphics \
chip (released in 1998) when EXA is utilized. It turns out EXA is missing one line of \
code to handle 24-bit color mode inside exaGetPixmapFirstPixel (/exa/exa_unaccel.c). \
I did post a patch to fix this issue back in December 2018 to this mailing list. [1] \
I compiled X Server 1.19.6 with this fix, and I can confirm that the crash bug is \
indeed fixed. I can now run SiS 6326 at 24-bit color mode with Xfce.
SiS DDX does still suffer from some rendering bugs (artifacts), but this appears to \
be buggy DDX code related. Adam Jackson, who has been the release manager of several \
past X Servers, has indicated that he is not interested in getting involved in \
releasing older versions of X Servers. [2] Since I specialize in fixing underserved \
graphics hardware, can I be the release manager of X Server 1.19.7? I have never done \
this and other more experienced people may have to hold my hands, but I will really \
will like to see the EXA 24-bit color bug fixed. Note that this bug has existed since \
X Server 1.7. How far back can I backport the fix and release maintenance version for \
even older X Servers (i.e., X Server 1.18 and older up to 1.7)?

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com