List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    Re: screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces
From:       Holger Macht <hmacht () suse ! de>
Date:       2006-06-02 16:30:19

On Fri 02. Jun - 16:39:37, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 11:02 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Some systems also have a mode where they both save to disk and memory
> > at the same time, then they suspend, but if power goes low they power
> > down (and un-hibernate on startup).
> >
> > Wouldn't it make sense to support a mode like that too?
>
> If the combined SuspendHibernate took as long to do as a regular
> Hibernate, then I see no reason for not using the SuspendHibernate
> instead of a regular Hibernate *always* (if available) as the regular
> Hibernate call has no other advantages.

It has one big advantage. It works a lot more often.

Suspend to disk is known to work on 99% of machines these days. Suspend to
ram will need _a lot_ more time to get in the same shape. So some
distributions will enable SuspendToBoth, some will just use SuspendToDisk,
some will enable both.

Regards,
	Holger