List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    Re: screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces
From:       Kevin Ottens <ervin () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-02 10:42:54

Le vendredi 2 juin 2006 12:14, Holger Macht a écrit :
> On Fri 02. Jun - 12:00:37, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I'll give more thought to this and maybe rework my plans. That's an
> > interesting point of view difference. =)
> >
> > Hence why, I won't argue more on this for the moment. Let's get a nice
> > session based interface!
>
> Ok, that's actually what I wanted. A commitment from both desktops, GNOME
> and KDE. So if both sides agree, I can live with it.

Note that I said _maybe rework my plans_. Currently, I can't say for sure that
I'll use session daemons, I admit that I prefer a system daemon for this. But
It's a promise to give it more thought, since I think that this approach is
interesting. In the meantime, that would be counter productive to bash a
valuable effort simply because I have a different opinion for now. That's why
I want to see it more tailored and I'll even help where I can. That's the
best way to invest my time to decide which approach (session daemons or
system daemons) I like best for power management.

> > That said I can live with your proposed API, so if I'm the only one
> > to "complain" about your terminology at the API level, I'll surely use it
> > in my own API anyway so that we're consistent (in particular if lower
> > level layers start to use it, I would be comfortable with such a
> > compromise).
>
> But that's actually my point. How can lower level layers use it if it is
> in session context? Lower level layern usually don't reside in session
> context, but nevermind...

By "it", I meant the terminology (suspend+hibernate). So my point is that I
would be even more comfortable with such a compromise if the underlying
layers name "suspend to disk" as "hibernate", etc. in their own exposed API
(think HAL, powersave, pm-utils, etc.).

Sorry for being unclear.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."