List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    kdbus, bus1 and systemd/non-linux hosts
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-09 10:09:11

Hi,

Here is maybe not the best place to ask, but I've come across the apparently dfunct \
kdbus project and its supposed successor, bus1. The idea of using a kernel interface \
instead of a handling everything in userspace makes a lot of sense if you consider \
the demonstrated performance gains. They are all the more interesting to me as I'm a \
KMail user, where potentially lots of data gets transported over the d-bus.

I've avoided kdbus for now but its successor (bus1-broker) turns out to depend on \
systemd which makes it a no-go for me. Are there any similar alternatives that don't \
have this dependency? Also, are you aware of comparable implementations for Mac or MS \
Win, using the kernel mechanisms that exist there? (A quick glance suggests Apple's \
XPC architecture might even be rich enough to act as a conduit, possibly combined \
with GCD?)

Mostly just curious as I have almost no programming experience with either of these \
technologies.

R.