List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: gcc vs egcs
From:       Tomas Furmonavicius <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       1999-12-28 17:27:02

Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:

>Correct me if i'm wrong, but is BSD moving to egcs in 4.0?  How will this
>change the generated code?  Is it just more C++ compatible?

There will be one more problem: in egcs C++ compiler exception handling support
is enabled by default. It produces _tons_ of _unshared_ code and data,
increasing memory consumption significantly. Very few free applications and
libraries use exception handling, but nobody cares to disable it when
compiling (at least in Linux distributions).  For example KDE 1.1.x is almost
unusable when compiled with exception handling enabled, but AFAIK all Linux
distributions ship KDE compiled with exception support. I hope that BSD port
maintainers won't repeat this mistake.

Tomas