I tried to upgrade from freebsd4.3 to freebsd 4.6.
all was going well. I pressed some wrong keys and thought I would be able to start the process again, but alas I am no nonger able to boot up.
Firstly I received a message: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for /dev/ttyv0: no such file or directory

Following an artilce from OReilly Information\BSD Tricks Unprepared Disaster Recovery\1.htm I proceeded to use the fixit disk.
when you firstly use the fixit disk you get an instruction: recommend symlinking /mnt/etc/group and /mnt/etc/*pwd.db to /etc.

This did not work as I get /mnt/etc/group not found.

Following the article I tried to reinstall 4.3 over the top of the existing partitions no I get a message at boot up:init can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal: Device not configured.

How do I use the fixit floopy to correct these problems or do I delete all partitions and start again and then download the latest release 4.6 and makeworld again?

Thanks,
Ivan