List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Outlook conversion
From:       Ross Boylan <RossBoylan () stanfordalumni ! org>
Date:       2001-02-28 22:09:40

I looked into this pretty recently, and gave up.  MS does not provide many
choices for export, and they tend to lose data.  I tried to import into
Eudora 5, which claims to be able to handle this.  It couldn't.  I can't
recall if I tried NS, but if I did, it didn't work.  This was with Outlook
2000.  I think one could write a program in VB for outlook to do the job,
but if you wanted to handle attachments it would be difficult.

The outlook .pst format is incredibly slow to work with--I found it took
hours to import and export messages using it.

I think there are some commercial programs which convert Outlook to
intermediate formats, but they tend to be more focused on MS Exchange.