List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: adding Windoze
From:       Kenward Vaughan <kaynjay () igalaxy ! net>
Date:       2001-01-22 22:15:42

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 01:08:56PM -0500, Glenn Becker wrote:

> All,
>
> Although it grieves me to say so, there are a couple of Windows-only apps
> I'd love to run ... specifically the XML IDE XMLSpy, and a couple of
> Chinese-language applications.
>
> Is there ANY relatively headacheless way to add Windows to my machine,
> making it a dual boot box, without first removing the Debian setup I have
> lovingly constructed? :-) I've heard that installing Windows kind of
> commandeers the MBR ...

Glenn,

I just installed win4lin, and it seems to be working well.  The setup was
nearly painless (you need to patch a kernel, build with make-kpkg, then the
rest is very easy).  It seems to be working well for the 2 apps. I think I
need off of Windoze.  Netaverse (the company that makes it) sells it cheap
(these apps. don't work quite right under wine).  Additionally, you get
about a month's time to try it out with the demo license they send you.

This or wine or VMWare obviously circumvents the straight install (unless
you have some games... ;).

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from