List:       debian-devel
Subject:    Re: bring a newer version of a package into stable (nsis-3.09-1 into Debian "bookworm")
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2023-12-22 14:19:59

On 2023-12-22, Thomas Gaugler <thomas@dadie.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought a package in Debian "bookworm" could be updated via a
> "bookworm proposed updates request" <https://bugs.debian.org/1050588>.
>
> It looks like I did not fully understand the process. Therefore I kindly
> ask for assistance in updating the nsis-3.08-3 package in Debian
> "bookworm" to nsis-3.09-1.

Unless you are special, only targetted fixes are normally allowed in
stable.

You should be able to do a full diff between the nsis 3.08-3 and 3.09-1
and explain all of the changes and why it is a targetted minimal fix.
(Except maybe version number changes)

If there is unrelated changes, consider looking at a targetted fix and
try to get a 3.08-4 in testing instead.

Once you have a tested nsis where you have read and understand and can
explain the full diff of what you want to do, please attach the full
diff to said bug report and remove the moreinfo tag.

>From your description, the two fixes sounds worth fixing in stable.

/Sune