List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Notes from the 2014 Sprint Meeting
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2014-07-08 7:56:35

* Repository splitting, social consequences of splitting up

-> Problems: we have libraries that are tangled together and that are packaged \
together in distributions, so Krita depends on sqlite, even. Our libraries depend on \
QtWidget, which makes mobile apps harder to make, and mobile is where Calligra \
excels.

-> Conclusion: splitting libraries into separate repositories is not feasible for \
2.9. We would like to not have our libraries drag in QtWidget all the time, but \
that's a big job to fix. Zagge has started on an initial idea.

We will keep the single repository for 2.9. With the Qt5 port, we will disable all \
applications. Boud volunteers to do the intial port Qt5 using the various scripts \
available. When everything builds but isn't properly ported, everything but the \
libraries will be disabled from the build. Then we can start porting applications; \
unmaintained applications that are not ported by the release date (3 months) will not \
be in the release.

* Qt5 port
-> 3 months
-> make tier2/tier3 optional

* What to do with unmaintained applications
-> will be disabled using Qt5 port

* Linux distribution packaging issues / portable applications: maybe an option to \
avoid the distribution-dependencies confusion problem. Maybe use Qt installer \
framework for upgrades?

* Promoting libraries for re-use -- are they good enough for that.
-> kokross deprecated
-> koproperty will be separated out
-> kundo2 still needed in qt5
-> odf  could be moved to documentliberation project?
-> rdf -- needed for odf 1.2, but probably broken
-> vector image -- useful outside calligra: KF5 tier1 library?

* Growing our user base
    * growing communities for single applications: jstaniek will prepare packages for \
Kexi, Krita already has packages for *buntu, Windows, OSX.

* Automatic feedback system (Jaroslaw)
-> having a system that makes it possible to add tooltips and similar for \
documentation teams would be good. Adding this can be done directly in Calligra or \
maybe through gammaray's introspection system.

* Translation issues (Dmitry)
->Dmitry presents a set of issues found during the krita translation sprint and well \
send out a summary.

* Non-Linux targets

* MVC Branch
-> demoed. We'll make a fork of komain for use in MVC enabled applications. \
Application maintainers can then port to MVC as they have time.

--
Boudewijn Rempt