List:       bricolage-general
Subject:    Re: Summer of Code 2006
From:       Marshall Roch <marshall () exclupen ! com>
Date:       2006-04-24 20:32:30

On Apr 24, 2006, at 3:52 PM, David Wheeler wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2006, at 12:44, cristopher pierson ewing wrote:
>
>> Beyond expanding brics authentication to work with pubcookie,
>> perhaps there are other existing auth systems that could be rolled
>> in?
>
> Well, Bricolage already has a pluggable auth system, and it
> currently supports LDAP auth in addition to its own internal auth.
> All you'd have to do is write a new auth plugin. See:
>
>    http://viewsvn.bricolage.cc/bricolage/trunk/lib/Bric/Util/
> AuthInternal.pm?view=log
>    http://viewsvn.bricolage.cc/bricolage/trunk/lib/Bric/Util/
> AuthLDAP.pm?view=log
>
> I'm not familiar with pubcookie authentication, but the auth plugin
> modules in Bricolage are quite simple. I'm not sure that a new auth
> plugin module alone would be sufficient for a full SoC project. But
> there are other scraps that can be picked up, as well. Maybe do
> AuthSASL or AuthCyrus, too? Others know more of these auth
> protocols than I do.

We use Pubcookie here (Carnegie Mellon), too.  mod_pubcookie
redirects the user to a login server, then redirects them back to the
app on success, appearing to the application much like Apache's basic
authentication (i.e. it sets REMOTE_USER).  A Pubcookie module would
just need to confirm that the username in REMOTE_USER is authorized
in the Bricolage database (probably similar to the way LDAP auth works).

The Bricolage side of things is probably not enough for a full SoC
project, but getting pubcookie installed can be fairly involved.
Writing a few pluggable auth modules (I'd also like to see PAM
support) would be cool, though.

--
Marshall Roch