List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: memory usage
From:       David Boone <dlboone () NORTEL ! CA>
Date:       1998-07-09 16:14:00

In message "memory usage", you write:

> Does vmstat give me real memory and page space utilization.  I have
> tried to interpret the man page for vmstat and it says it reports
> about virtual memory (not sure exactly what this is).
>
> I have tried to use the monitor utility, but I have had problems with
> it eating up the CPU.  Anything 'built-in' to AIX that can give me
> real memory and page space information?

If you want easy-to-use monitoring, buy "Performance Toolbox" or see if
it's already installed by typing `xmperf`.  It used to be free from IBM
as part of the OS in 3.2.5, I think.  Now, it's a separate product, but
the agent runs by default with little resource interference.

> I know that lsps -a can give me some some space information, but I
> question it's accuracy.

What makes you question its accuracy?

> My overall goal is to see if I am memory bound.  I am using sar to
> monitor the CPU.

Wondering about memory bound, watch the vmstat commands' pi (page ins)
for large numbers.  It's ordinary for applications to page out, but
a lot of paging in occurs when you're memory bound and you're having
to access virtual memory.

> Thanks,
>
> Daniel
> jistdc1@mail.jbhunt.com