List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: kdemultimedia and svn -> git
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-01-17 0:34:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 14:31:12 Ian Monroe wrote:
> So we should move to Git. Its what folks are doing.
>
> What do people think? Luckly Nicolas Alvarez that I have CCed to this
> email (PovAddict on IRC) would do most of the work involved. There
> would need to be some cmake-tweaking to make each app build on its
> own, but it should be pretty straightforward.

Well, we should go ahead and see if we can get a conclusion to this. I
personally would probably prefer a non-split repository. However I could
certainly live with a split one, and to that end I have some ideas of how a
split repo would be setup:

As a reminder, here's the directory layout we need to take care of:

    cmake/
    doc/
    dragonplayer/
    ffmpegthumbs/
    juk/
    kioslave/
        audiocd/
    kmix/
    kscd/
    libkcddb/
    libkcompactdisc/
    libkdemultimedia/
        kdemultimedia_export.h
    mplayerthumbs/
    strigi-analyzer/

The easy things are applications: JuK, KMix, Dragon Player.

On the other hand, KsCD and kio_audiocd are independent, and both use libkcddb
and libkcompactdisc. So, I would think that those all go into a kdemultimedia-
compactdisc repository. (And by all means, feel free to suggest better names)

ffmpegthumbs and mplayerthumbs have similar functions (obvious from the name).
Take those and add strigi-analyzer and we have metadata-gathering
applications. So maybe clump those into kdemultimedia-filemetainfo ?

From there we can leave all the rest in a "kdemultimedia" base module. I'm not
sure that git supports base modules that are not simply shells around
submodules (i.e. modules that have files of their own *and* submodules). But
if git doesn't support that, we can work around it with
projects.xml+a_build_script and/or CMake magic.

Thoughts? Any other opinions from KDE Multimedia devs regarding whether to
split (and if so, how?)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne