List:       zope-xml
Subject:    Re: [zope-xml] Umlauts and ISO-8859-1 characters in XMLDocuments
From:       Dieter Maurer <dieter () handshake ! de>
Date:       2000-10-13 19:51:13

Holger Lehmann writes:
 > So I inserted the attribute encoding="ISO8859-1" in the <?xml ...?> header.
 > Now the document gets parsed and I do get my umlauts in the resulting output:
 > **as UTF-8** (oh no !). I am sorry but I cannot read that :-)
 >
 > So is there any way (changing python code ok) so I can make the XMLDocument
 > be able to output ISO-8859-1 or maybe even quoted HTML chars like & ouml ;
 > (spaces inserted knowingly !)
That is normal XML processing behaviour: during parsing the
encoding is normalized to UTF-8.

I think, I remember someone has modified XML-RPC (search for it!)
to consistently use latin-1 rather than convert to UTF-8.
Maybe, this solution can be adapted for your case.

Dieter

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9535/4/_/754737/_/971467980/